top of page
Fists in Solidarity


St Mary’s Greenham is committed to the safeguarding, care and nurture of the children and people of all ages in our church community.

Reporting Abuse

What to do if you have a safeguarding concern.


If you have information about a safeguarding situation where a child or adult is in immediate danger, or requires immediate medical attention, call emergency services on 999.

If you do not think there is a risk of immediate harm, you should still speak to an official about your concern as soon as possible.

The Diocesan safeguarding team are committed to responding to safeguarding concerns, providing advice if you are not sure what to do, and supporting survivors in an efficient and effective way.  We are not however able to offer an emergency or 24-hour response.  Your Parish Safeguarding Officer is also a local first point of contact for reporting safeguarding concerns.

If you are concerned that a child or vulnerable adult is at risk of harm you should approach your local Children’s Social Care or Adult’s Social Care department.

A referral to the Diocesan Safeguarding Team must be made about any case where a child or vulnerable adult appears to be at risk or where an adult appears to present a risk. They must also be informed straight away of any safeguarding concerns involving a Church Officer.  A ‘Church Officer’ is anyone appointed/elected by or on behalf of the Church to a post or role, whether they are ordained or lay, paid or unpaid.

If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns directly to the National Safeguarding Team at Church House Westminster, please email

St Mary's Greenham

Parish Safeguarding Officer


Liz Jones

Diocesan Contacts

Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor (Berkshire)

Charlotte Wilmshurst

07443 700 159

West Berkshire Council Contacts

Safeguarding Children

Members of the public and professionals who are worried about a child or think that a child is at risk of being harmed or abused, during office hours (between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday), should contact the Contact, Advice and Assessment Service (CAAS), using the details below:


Telephone: 01635 503090


If you have concerns outside of office hours, please contact the Emergency Duty Service on 01344 786 512, where you will be able to discuss your concerns with a social worker.

Safeguarding Adults

Most adults are able to make decisions about how they manage their own lives, and will do so without needing help. However, there are some who may need support for a variety of reasons.

If you think that you, or someone you know is being abused, there are ways in which you can get help.

Don't ignore the problem, blame yourself, or keep quiet about it - it's unlikely to go away on its own.

Take action straight away if:

  • You or the person are in immediate danger of being harmed or you think a crime might have been committed - call the police on the emergency number 999, or the non-urgent contact number 101, if you are not sure whether the police should be involved

  • There is an immediate risk to your or the person's health, or there is a medical emergency - call 999 and ask for the ambulance service.

01635 519056

Located at: Council Offices, West Street House, Newbury

bottom of page